All staff and students should be aware of the arrangements for safety in the school. It is important for everyone that we take this seriously. Please read the following and do your best to stay safe.
If you have an accident in school, you should report it to management immediately. We will keep a record of any accident that happens, and we will take steps to make sure it does not happen again, as far as possible.
We will make sure, as much as possible:
- Our school building will be safe.
- The access to and from our school building will be safe.
- Everything we need to use in the school will be maintained so that it is safe to use.
- Staff will get instruction or training if they need to use any special equipment, so that they can do it safely.
- If necessary, we will provide protective clothing for any task that requires it.
- We will always monitor our emergency plans, and make changes if necessary.
- We will revise this statement every year, and make any changes we think are necessary.
- We will consult our staff on all of our health and safety policies.
- We will elect a safety representative.
We will always ensure that the provisions of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 are followed at all times.
While you are in class
- Please take care of your safety and the safety of your classmates.
- If your teacher asks you to do something in order to be safe, please obey immediately.
- Use classroom equipment carefully and in the right way.
- If you find something that does not work or seems dangerous, please tell the management immediately.
- You must not interfere with or damage any of our equipment.
Where something is dangerous, we will immediately check and fix it if we can. If we cannot fix it straight away, we will place a clear sign by it. Please pay attention to the signs.
It is the policy of the Management of DCE that:
- We will have enough fire extinguishers in the school, and there will be instructions on how to use them.
- We will have a fire drill at least twice a year.
- All of our fire alarms are clearly marked.
- All of the exits and routes are clearly marked.
- All of the doors and corridors must be kept clear of obstruction. Please do not block the doors in your classroom with your chairs or bags.
- We will have a plan of the school in each room, showing you where to exit if necessary, and where to meet after we leave the school in an emergency.
- We will tell you the assembly points outside, where you must wait if we evacuate the school.
- When you finish using any electrical equipment such as computers or projectors, please unplug it. Teachers are responsible for this in the classroom. If your teacher forgets, remind them!
- The manager is responsible for fire drills and evacuation procedures. We will explain this to you during your induction.
- We will follow all recommendations by a Fire Officer.
These things can be dangerous. Please be careful with them.
- Wet floors
- Trailing leads
- Craft materials such as scissors
- Fuse Board
- Electric kettles
- Ladders and steps
- Protruding units and fittings
- Construction work outside school
- Icy surfaces on a cold day
To minimise these dangers the following safety/ protective measures must be adhered to:
- We will put a sign next to anything that is dangerous if we can’t fix it immediately.
- Please don’t use a ladder by yourself, if you must use one. Ask for help.
- If you find broken glass, please ask management to remove it immediately.
- We will check that all of the floors are clean and not slippery.
- We will check our equipment at least once a year.
- If the lights outside do not work, please let us know and we will inform the Council.
- If we have any building work, the equipment will be stored safely.
- We will remove rubbish regularly.
- If you don’t know how to use the computer, please ask for help.
- If you don’t know how to use the kitchen equipment, please ask for help.
- Please don’t use any electrical appliances you aren’t familiar with. Ask for help.
Before you use an electrical appliance, please check that all the parts are intact and no wires are exposed.
Please unplug everything when not in use.
All chemicals, photocopying toner, detergents, etc, are stored in clear containers with instructions and precautions for their use. They are kept in a secure area. Protective clothing and/or gloves are provided for those who need to use them.
Drugs and Medication
We cannot give out any medication to students or staff.
If you need to take medication, please keep it safe while you are in school.
If your medication may cause side-effects, you should tell management, so that we can make sure you are safe.
We provide a kitchen and recreation area for staff and students. Please keep it clean. We expect a high standard of hygiene here. If you use dishes and cutlery, please wash them.
Please keep the toilet clean by flushing it after use and by using the waste bins provided.
- If you have been ill, and you are coming back to school, please let us know if you may suffer any side effects or any temporary issues that might make it difficult for you to participate in class. We can accommodate you.
- You cannot come to school if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. If you break this rule, we may commence disciplinary action.
You must not smoke in any area of DCE. It is illegal to smoke in a public building. If you break this rule, you may be liable to a fine, as well as disciplinary action.
All infectious diseases must be reported to management, and we will take steps to protect our staff and students against these diseases. We hope to reduce the risk of infection by maintaining good hygiene. Please wash your hands.
Visual Display Units
We follow the guidelines of the Health and Safety Authority when using visual display units.
We have a staff member trained in first aid in each of our buildings.
You will see a notice in the office and at Reception giving you information on the following:
- Who the first aiders are
- Where the first aid boxes are kept
- How to call an ambulance
- Phone numbers for local doctors and hospitals
- How to call the Gardaí
You must report any accident or injury to the management. We record all incidents in a special file.
We will make sure that there is a first aid box available at all times. The box contains:
- sticking plasters
- Anti-histamine for Stings, etc.
- Disinfectant (e.g.) Savlon
- Eye lotion (e.g.) Optrex
- Antiseptic cream
- Cotton Bandage
- Cream for First Aid treatment of Burns
- Antiseptic Wipes
- First Aid Chart
If you have to help someone with first aid, please use disposable gloves.